"Outsourcing", "Consultants"...........those asshats.
I swear, I think some people around here get off by playing tour guide to these guns for hire. I (obviously) come from the school of thought where "your company is only as good as the employees" and when most of your "employees" are employed by another company that you have a contract with, there is a distinct lack of accountability.
I take pride in my work, as I'm sure this slew of counsultants do, but it's different. With pride comes loyalty. How can one be loyal to a company when their success doesn't have any bearing on the ultimate success in the company? They're only vested as far as their contract stipulates. Even then, there's usually no clause saying, "If shit breaks, the burdens on you." What is the company going to do? Sue to get their money back? Don't even get me started on that subject.....
I mean, hell, come to think of it, I think there's one department/sub-department in this company that serves only one purpose: To hire and facilitate outsourced manpower. That's all they do. I get requests from this dept constantly asking for "access for this person", "a PC setup for that person", "setup a VPN connection for this person", etc.
I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if our department was given the chance to perform the "magic" that the freelancers seem to be able to weild with such proficiency. The fact of the matter is, we get to clean up the mess these assholes make. They "integrate" the new app/whatever with our system/whatever and then train ONE PERSON how to support it, then the mercs leave. Pats on the back all around for the "supervisors" on our payroll. They get major kudos and promotions while my department sits here stagnant and/or receding because of the EXTREME lack of motivation and faith actions like these instill.
Ah well, one can only do their best. Company loyalty is a concept that has faded. The companies that promote loyalty are successful, the one's that don't can still be, but you won't find anyone at those companies that will say they're proud to work there.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home