Calmer 'n you are.

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Damn you MS and your single threaded processes.

I have this 111Gb Exchange database on a fresh machine. Dual 3.06Ghz HT Xeons with 4Gb RAM and 536Gb of RAID5 disk. I'm running ESEUTIL to verify the integrity/repair/defrag and it should take about 40-70 hours to run. Well, while it was running I brought up the Task Manager and saw one proc slammed at 100% usage while the remaining 3 procs (1 real, 2 virtual) are idle. It appears that they haven't changed this utility since Exchange 5.5. Dicks.

3 Comments:

  • Oh it would be great fun to watch multiple threads contending for the same disk drive seek-arm actuator.... chakachakachaka

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2004 at 5:25 PM  

  • just be happy you are able to use your raid setup... I have a 1TB OpenNas server sitting in my computer room doing jack shit and praying that someday the packets it see's flying across the network will become data stored on it.

    -Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2004 at 9:08 PM  

  • Ah yes, I see.

    Well, It turned out I was running the utility with the switch that wouldn't do me a damn bit of good anyways. I needed to repair the database before I could defrag it. It took 4 hours to run the repair (on the 111Gb database) and 2 hours to defrag it. It sawed it down to about 16Gb, then maintenance ran and it said that there was 13556Mb of free space. hehe.

    Who roolz?

    By Blogger Randy, at May 29, 2004 at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home