Calmer 'n you are.

Thursday, August 15, 2002

"I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT want to fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Whoa! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, base plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks........."-Hudson, Aliens 1986

I started doing the "distributed computing" thing again. This time instead of running Seti@Home on 50+ Server-Class machines (we processed 26000+ units), I'm just running Folding@Home on my machine at home and a machine at work. Folding@home is a Stanford project that studies "protien folding" and aggregation to understand how diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson'S occur.

The main reason I got into it was there was this dude on ClubSi flapping his gums on how he's running it on his Dual 1Ghz G4 and he wanted to see if any PC's could match up. Now I, actually knowing that my PC's couldn't possibly hang with a pair of G4's, decided to call him out on the smoke he's blowing. The guy's a moron and really shouldn't argue about anything technical, much less try to argue with me about it. You see, its not that I'm all that smart. It's just that he's all that dumb. He believes 100% of what he reads, even if it's info produced just to sell shit.

Anyhoo, the proverbial icing on this cake is the fact that he posted a question asking how he could get both proc's on his Mac to run at 100%, because presently he has one proc running 50%. I chimed in saying, "Well, I dunno about the Mac version, but in the PC console (CLI) version, it asks you if you would like to alter the advanced settings before kicking off the process. I set mine at 95% and made it a low priority process so I can still use the machine while it is running. OR you can edit the config file that comes with the client."

To which he responds, "I tried all the steps you mentioned, it still doesn't work."

What a dumb bitch. I am the winner.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home